"It's in your head, get over it!"

"It's in your head, get over it!" Is a frequent statement made by people, who are probably more sorted out in their life. But how does it being in my head not make it real? 
I mean, hallucinations are real to the people experiencing them. You can not treat hallucinations by saying "It's in your head, get over it". If one could, I would have to choose a different field of study. 
It's real. It's freaking real, here in my head. And it influences the emotions I feel, the decisions I make and the actions I take. It also influences my reactions: fight, flight or freeze. And you can't change me by saying "Get over it". 
Have you ever thought that I would if I could.

Everyone is different. We are born different. And that makes each individual's life experience different. You cannot compare any two human being, any two life. "He can do it, why can't you?!" STOP doing that. 
Parents stop comparing your children. Teachers stop comparing your students. Just stop. 

I have battled my thoughts for way too long now, so I know, telling someone to 'get over it', doesn't help, at all. What it usually does is, it makes them lose trust in you and all others who say that. It makes them uncomfortable to share anything more with you, and makes them terrified of the judgement you are going to pass. The social verdict of being weak! 

You wanna help? Listen! Just be there and listen. Be present when you listen. You might not know how to say the right things, and that's okay. You don't have to. Even professionals often struggle with it. People like me, we just want someone who would give us the space to be vulnerable, sometimes that is enough for us to "Get over it". 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Disappearing Future

Failures: are they really pillars of success?

Photograph