Different Worlds


It’s not like I have not thought about this and realized about our different worlds before, but it had never struck me this overwhelmingly.
whenever I felt like my life is difficult (which I know in my depths that it ain't in the slightest bit) I usually think about other people who have bigger problems than me. People closest to us strike us the first, I think about my parents, who are living apart,  and not because they  want to and their loneliness and pain. They don’t have a fountain of youth, they are aging everyday, and this is the time they need each other the most and that’s one thing they don’t have, each other’s company. Still, they are okay, they are all right (for now), and I still get very worried about them, I wonder  their anxiety about their parents, who are rapidly moving towards the end. No, I definitely ain't one with the biggest problems.

And then, today, just sitting on my table and staring at my notes, I suddenly got this overwhelming feeling of how we take our world for granted. The first thing that struck me was how many people out there want to attend school, but can’t, how many would die to learn to read.  My grandma wasn't educated, and all her life was spent in raising her kids and tending to her husband , leaving very little time to herself. At age of 65 when she finally found some time for herself, she learned to read and write. Now she can write her name,  and read religious text.  And we, who had the privilege to read and write and learn everything my grandma got to learn at the age of 65 by the age of 6, complain so much about the amount of study we need to do, about homework, and always try to find excuse to cut classes and school. Am sure people like my grandma can’t understand our attitude.

Then along the same line, I began to think about women and their position in different societies. There are so many societies who still do not give women any right, especially the right to education, the right to stand on their own feet.  I wonder how those women look at us, how jealous they might be of our life, our freedom, they might  be thinking  “if I had all that opportunity I would do this and do that. I would become a doctor, engineer, an artist, accountant, minister”… and so on. And then there are those women/girls who take all that opportunity and make it their prison. Who get involved in various activities, never complete even school,  still remain dependent, leave themselves vulnerable to maltreatment. They fail to empower themselves despite having all the support and opportunities.  It’s sad. Seeing how its being taken for granted and wasted, I think it saddens those women, who don’t have that freedom and right, even more,
See, how different our world’s are …. May be we can be better people if we think about what we have that others don’t, and wish so bad that they had it. If we stop taking our life for granted, may be then even in what we feel is the darkest hour we may realize that we are bathed in light.

We ought to think about it, our different worlds, and rejoice in what we have, and appreciate our life, instead of always viewing the greener gardens. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Disappearing Future

Love story: teen story

Photograph